Monday 20 April 2009

It's Legoland -You're Not Running


This time I was caught red handed, the running trainers were found in the suitcase rapped up in a jumper. The question of why I needed a rather large watch to tell the time(Garmin 305) was also not easy to explain. The thoughts of a full English on the menu were also largely ignored, the search for the hotel gym - and more importantly a treadmill to train on took precedence over all the hotel luxuries.

The seasoned runner needs his(or her) daily 'fix' of running to be able to function. They become impossible to reason with, often miserable and unwilling to help(thats me anyway). I decided the battle with the wife wasn't worth starting and no running was the easier of the two options. Once I had got over the 'cold turkey effect' of not running I began to rather enjoy the break.

The Legoland Adventure was a kids paradise with seventy acres of rides and fun things to do. Power walking between the rides and using the pushchair as an added resistence effect created a kind of active rest for me. The only drawback was the drive down -220 of mostly motorway miles. The use of my brothers Tom Tom Navigation System helped somewhat, and directed us straight to the hotel carpark. Total miles 220, with 4.5 hours travel, 2 stops - average pace 1 minute 20ish per mile.
Thanks for reading.




2 comments:

Runningbear said...

Sure it won't do you any harm to have a short break, will keep you fresh for more PB's this summer ;)

Antony Bradford said...

Cheers,trouble is you feel so great after the rest you end up doing a 18 miler at tempo pace, then your legs hurt - watch out for my next blog update.