Tuesday 13 July 2010

A little hiccup at Eccup


I was not sure whether to do this race this year. It was the cooler morning which made my mind up, having got up early and eagerly checked out the Abbey runners website making sure the race wasn't full.

I was just going to turn up and treat it as a long Sunday tempo run, trying to average 5-50 per mile and dip under 60 minutes. This 'joggin' round the race stuff never seems to work for me though. The competitive instinct kicks in and you sometimes can not hold back. Seeing rival runners in the line up and friendly competitiveness from your other club mates can start the fire burning.

Among the front runners that I recognised on Sunday were Andy Pearson from Longwood , Ian Fisher(now unattached) ,Tim Midgely(Bingley) , Kevin Ogden(Spen) and Mark Hall(Otley).

It was great to see Ian Fisher back in action after taking some time off. Without much training and even showing some resemblance of his old form in the windy conditions.

I just managed to finish outside the 60 minute mark with 60-04. This was after trying to power to the finish realising how close it was going to be.

I may do the Pudsey or Harrogate 10k this month and maybe Askern 10 mile in August.

It's a shame about the foot in the photo. It almost looks like I'm leading the race!


No comments: