Wednesday 29 December 2010

Three Degrees




Not talking about the classic 70's pop band. I was surprised to read that the temperature reading this morning was 3 degrees. The birds were tweeting and it felt almost spring like. I was just starting to get used to a lie in and the full English breakfast on my return from the gym. It felt good to get out onto safe clear pavements once again. The legs felt heavy though and there was no way that it was going to be a fast pace; seven minute/mile max. I had done a hard gym session yesterday with some single leg squats and then on to the treadmill after finding out that the Ribble Valley was cancelled. I know it was one of those things and the conditions were not good but a small hand written sign at the race start saying that the race cancelled was a little bit short notice. It was an 130 mile round trip from Wakefield so not a journey I wanted to make for no reason.

All this gym work and I've worked out that there seems to be a world of difference between treadmill running and road running. I did get to the point of enjoying the treadmill once I set myself challenges on it. Viewing it as a running rival and virtual partner rather than a machine. I will include it as part of my training with maybe one session per week next year.

It's close to the end of the year now and I will be reviewing 2010 and thinking about what can be done in 2011 to improve things running wise. I know things went downhill in December when the bad weather hit. A 33-49 10k at Leeds towards the end of November was a high point. This month I have been running to work and back in the snow but unable to put in any tempo work due to the danger of slipping and track work was off due to the ice on the track. Fitness can easily be built back up but bad injuries can take longer to heal - were my thoughts. Keeping a fitness base there means not having to start right from scratch again, although it feels you have lost loads of fitness on your first run out.

So if I don't get another posting out before the end of the year. Happy New Year to everybody and happy running in 2011.


No comments: