Sunday 9 January 2011

Pennine 10k: Slow start to 2011

Seven weeks since my last race - which was the Abbey Dash. I knew I'd lost some fitness even though I was regularly going to the gym and using the treadmill. Four cancelled races wouldn't help things. I needed to do a race to get 'race fit'.

The Pennine 10k seemed ideal, fairly local and an early starter. I entered on-line so it was just a case of turning up and collecting the number. I was a bit worried because last night there was a touch of frost at home. No signs of a cancellation this time, although I joked to some of the other runners that it was cancelled and the look on their faces was quite something.

It seemed like there was not as many runners this time. I just wondered if runners were deciding not to take the risk and abstain from entering because of the unpredictable weather. No entries on the day meant that it was a fairly low turnout for this race. Among the few runners that I recognised were: Shaun Dimilow(Barnsley)Andy May(Abbey Runners), Andy Whitworth(Meltham), David Thomson(Barnsley), Keith Williams(Rotherham), Martin Firth(Queensbury)

With no serious training for quite a few weeks it was a case of easing into the race and seeing how the legs and lungs held up. Shaun set of at a steady pace with a chap from Halifax giving chase. I was happy to follow and run alongside Andy W until I found out just what pace my legs could take. I seemed to cope well with the up hills and gained the advantage over Andy W. Andy M and David Thomson ran ahead and made a small group. I quickly realised I didn't want to join them this time and decided to run my own race. It was a solo effort for me from then on with Andy W falling some way behind, although I got the feeling that he may make a late charge and catch me. I think my time was 37-28 ish, some way short of last years PB of 33-49 but it's a hilly course with a touch of headwind today.


4 comments:

Terry Lonergan said...

Well done, Anthony. I think it's all to easy too easy to say I'm not 100% and avoid racing. As it is you've had more than a a good workout, can learn from it where you are and can proceed with better weather and faster races to come. A solid, sensible start I would say.
Terry

Antony Bradford said...

Thanks for that very good advice Terry. That's exactly the way I see it. In my view no training can replicate a race and you need to do one at some point if you want to progress. It's still heartbreaking to lose nearly 4 minutes in 2 months after spending 8 months trying to hit that target(sub 34 mins). Doing the races and grinding out the miles is just as satisfying for me as breaking PB's, so I will continue to run unfazed by it all.

All the best with your recovery from injury.

Runningbear said...

Hi AB, well done on your return to racing... it's a tricky time for us all with rubbish weather and lurgy around every corner.

It's great to hear you're throwing ourself into the ring and getting the heart pumping hard again, you'll be back to lightnin' times before you know it.

Antony Bradford said...

Thanks for that RB.

I think my focus might be to catch you this year. You seem to be back into hard training again.

Hope all goes well this time.