Sunday 21 December 2008

Denby Dale 6 + bit - Race Report

I decided to make the short trip to Denby Dale this week. The idea was to blast away some cobwebs and burn off some mince pies(only 4 so far). With a limit of 250, I was taking no chances and pre-entered this time. Just as well, the race was full before the closing date - and there were no entries on the day.

At the start line I began to study the other runners - and mentally try and work out my position in the race. When the race started my legs felt stiff, although I seemed to be holding my own in the race itself. It seemed clear that after about 1 mile that Kev lilley(Sheffield) and Steve Roebuck from Penistone were opening up a sizable gap. I did notice that the uphills were not as taxing, and I put this down to the recent gym work that I had been doing. The last 2 miles I began to struggle, and was aware that the runners behind were closing the gap. Andrew guiseley(Dewsbury) caught me at about the 5 mile point. I finished in fourth position and 1st in my catergory(over 40).

When the race finished I met up with Dave Lancaster(york) and we went for a short cool down run. Afterwards we joined the gathering of runners in the 'Pie Hall' for free sandwiches, buns and cakes etc.

I do find it hard to take these 'pie and pea runs' seriously and rarely rest or taper for them, treating them more like a training runs, although I try my hardest during the race itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers Tony. I hope things are the same for you.
Had a terrible run at Ribble 10k today, everyone in my club ran well bar me. Fancy that.