Sunday 15 February 2009

Liversedge - Hilly Half Marathon


I decided to test out the recent strength training on the Liversedge Half Marathon today. With numbers restricted to 400 I felt smug that I'd entered in good time. The weather was near perfect for me, as I am just about fed up of racing and training in cold conditions -this felt like mid summer by comparison.

Gathered at the start there seemed to be lacking some quality runners up front and I thought I was in for a shot if the race went my way.

When the race started I held back on my pace, because 13 miles is long enough for the pace to even out and I thought my strength would help in the latter miles of the race. I did note that one runner from Ackworth (I think), set off in what can only be described as suicidal pace. He was quickly 'reeled in' after only about 2 miles. I managed to catch the leading pack at 5 miles and managed to run behind the lead car for quite a few miles after that. Then there were 3 of us in the pack, Andrew Guisley(Dewsbury), David Allinson(unattached) and myself. I felt strong on the hills but began to 'brake' on the downhills - which slowed down my pace somewhat. I managed to hold on to second place until the 12 mile point, when the 2 Andrews from Dewsbury, Andrew Guisley and Andrew Cottier began to overtake. My legs felt like jelly at this point and there was nothing left for that extra push to the finish. I finished forth overall with a time of
1-19-41, which averaged out at 6-02 per mile. So with a £25 S.M.K voucher, 2 Edinburgh crystall glasses and a long sleeve T shirt I was happy with the outcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done at Liversedge Half Tony. I wanted to run it again this year and try and elipse my record. That hill at around 8 miles is a good one. I've got my Spen 20 number.