Monday 18 October 2010

Brid Half: Not a leisurely day at the seaside.


Near perfect conditions produced a large turnout for this annual event; a cool but welcoming on- shore breeze with clear blue skies. Judging by the amount of cash on the table quite a lot of people opted to enter on the day. This is one event where anyone who doesn't pre -enter misses out on the prizes.

Gathered at the front were: Andy Pearson(Longwood), Mark Hall(Otley), Tim Midgely(Bingley), Stuart McDonald(Bingley), Stuart Carmicheal(City of Hull), Paul Marchant(Leeds City).

As predicted, Andy Pearson was in front followed by Paul Marchant. Andy soon increased the pace on approaching the first roundabout. I set off fairly fast and it took to about the 2 mile point for the Bingley pair to catch me. I then stayed with them a bit until Tim M opened a gap and increased the pace. This was too fast for me and I stayed with Stuart M for a bit until he decided to try close the gap to Tim M. It was then solitary running, until I was caught by Mark H at about the 10k point - which I reached in 34-40. I passed the 10 mile point in 58-15 and then struggled with the remaining 3 miles. I was overtaken again on the final 500 meters. Legs were seriously mashed at this point and I was happy for the race to finish.

I recorded a time of 1-17-16, which was a little down on what I was hoping for, but collecting a Yorks Vet 45 trophy and £25 cheque helped mask the disappointment.

Mile splits were: 5-37, 5-38, 5-29, 5-39, 5-57, 6-04, 5-59, 6-19, 5-38, 5-48, 6-13, 5-56, 6-00

No comments: