Sunday 12 July 2009

Eccup 10 Mile - No Pain - Just Gain


Today was the Eccup 10 mile road race. For a change the run was on a day that was not boiling hot. There was a welcome cool breeze today.

As of late the training as just been steady away with no really intense sessions, only the Thursday nights track workout is moderately painful. I do feel I 'stole' the V40 prize today because my philosophy is you only get rewards for hard work and I do not know of any other sport that requires so much hard work to achieve results as running. Lazy training should not be rewarded - but there you go - funny old sport this running!

With the absense of any Fishers, Biltons or Dunns I was sure I could stay within reasonable sight of the leaders for a good few miles at least. My team mate and training partner from Spen, Kevin Ogden, pulled out late on with a back injury, so the plan of running with him was out of the window. I eventually came in 5th in 1Hr and 7 Seconds, helped by one of the leaders Tim Midgeley, either getting lost or pulling out very late. From memory I think this was some 40 seconds faster than last year.

I have plans to do the Harrogate 10k or Pudsey 10k in July.

7 comments:

Simon Anderson said...

Well done! Is it me or was this race quite slow this year?

Tim dived out of the woods (8 miles) just as I came past - judging from the fact his vest was by then on inside out I suspect he'd had a spot of gut trouble or something.

Anonymous said...

Seen your Eccup 10 result. Well done! My week up to Kilburn a training disaster. Pity I can't remember much of it!

Runningbear said...

Well done Antony, I spotted your great result last night and was very impressed with the time, particularly hearing about the windy conditions on the day.

Sounds like you're in fine form and moving up a gear. What's next for you race-wise?
RB

Antony Bradford said...

Thanks folks for all the great comments.

Simon.

I think there was quite a breeze this year which may have slowed us all down.

I saw Tim at the turnround point(6 miles ish), he was near the front and never saw him again after that.
-----------------------------------
Ian.

Heard about the mega disaster at Kilburn and you getting second place. But then again if you were only training and sleep walking you can't be too disappointed. There's always another race so don't give up just yet.
-----------------------------------RB.

I wouldn't consider myself in fine form, just lucky that everyone seems to be running in lower gear at the momment. I think I have done this course in 56 mins something quite a few years back, so the standards have dropped from then.

I have not made any firm commitments to races, but may do the Harrogate or Pudsey 10k

kattachira said...

Hai........
I visit your blog....it is a nice experience ...
Thank you...
Kuttan Kattachira..
scworg.blogspot.com
kattachira.blogspot.com

old gimmer said...

Tony,

Don't waste energy worrying about things over which you have no influence. If you happed to have a few weeks lazy training and still win V40 then just take it. If other runners haven't turned up and you happen to be the best there then so what?

Look at your time and what training you did manage and give this some thought. If you were faster than last year is this telling you that a bit of rest might actually do you some good? Eventually you will have to learn to balance training and rest differently. Maybe not yet, but start to learn the lessons.

If you didn't run such a good time then use it as a kick up the backside to train harder. Just don't moan when you win!

Vic

Anonymous said...

Off out for a few beers with my brother tonight Tony. That will sort me out concentration wise!
I think a break will do me some good and maybe the desire to focus 100% will return
I'm going ahead with the 10k and see what happens. Might see at the race, or have a great run at Pudsey.