Sunday 28 March 2010

Windy Wakefield spoils PB attempt!


A proper taper this time with no speed work on Thursday, easy running on Friday and a gym session on Saturday. This meant that the legs were fresh and ready for the challenge. Having done fast paced runs of around 16 miles on the previous 3 Sundays I was more than ready to race this one.

The race is now an out and back course along the A642 Horbury road, setting off at the side of Thornes Park. This is different to the previous course around the city, which had more bends and turns.

At the start point the wind didn't seem too bad but as soon as we hit the main road there was a strong headwind. The legs felt good at that time and I settled into a rhythm, having focused on some runners who are capable of sub 34 mins. Tim Midgeley(Bingley), John Broom(Holmfirth) and Andy Whitworth(Meltham) were in the group with me. I felt very comfortable with the pace. I was also happy that the front runners were not disappearing out of sight, which can only mean they are also slowing with the strong head wind. I prefer racing in a group rather than out alone, this seems to make you focus more and the race pass by quicker. On the negative side it can also make you go faster than you are capable of. I was aware of this but felt I had built the fitness to take these guys on -that's what my mind was saying anyway.

At around the 5k turn round point Tim Midgeley fell off the pace and eventually pulled out of the race altogether. It then became a battle between Andy Whitworth and myself, with Daniel Fisher(Valley Striders) and Paul Humphries(Rotherham) joining in. Again, I felt fit enough to take it to the line and it was just a matter of knowing when to go for it. At the 9k marker I decided to go, I sprinted to the line clocking 5-19 for the last mile and just missing out on a sub 35. I was slightly disappointed with the time but pleased that I had won the battle with the group that I was with. I came second V45 with Carl Thackery taking first V45 by quite a long way.

7 comments:

Runningbear said...

Brilliant effort AB, the finish time was well worthy of sub 35 in better conditions. Great feedback on your form and a gutsy race from you too. You definitiely should be chuffed with your effort. Well done. RB

Henry Heavisides said...

Great run in those conditions! Top 10 finish out of 1185 runners is very impressive.

Simon Anderson said...

Result! I raced in the same wind and was drained so you have my sympathies. There's always Rothwell.

Thanks for the comment on my Haiku post. V. entertaining. It doesn't make me run any quicker, but shows where my mind is when I'm out running!

Take care.

Antony Bradford said...

Thanks for all the comments.

John Broom said...

I think John Broom (Holmfirth) was planning to ease past you after 5k before you unsportingly ran away:-)

Antony Bradford said...

Thanks for the comment barnsleyrunner

Sorry I didn't stop to chat. The thought of John Broom flying past me from 5k onwards was my driving force in the race.

John Broom said...

Glad to prove the inspiration then:-). Many's the time chasing your back has provided my inspiration, most memorably at Spencers Dash a few years back.