Wednesday 3 November 2010

Guy Fawkes Tough 10 mile


Having done this race quite a few times the weather has varied in the past from dry, cold and sunny or raining, to mild and wet, calm or windy. This time it was calm, fairly mild and damp - Probably ideal running conditions.

Having had the privilege of browsing the entry list the night before there appeared to be no runners who would be likely to dominate the race fully. There were a few runners who I wasn't sure about. I didn't have the time to 'Power of 10 them' to check them out. Plus entries on the day were still open at that point.

This race has a tricky start which goes downhill through the back of Ripley castle. I wasn't about to get carried away at this point and I set off steady. This was well within myself, although it is rather daunting when loads of runners are in front of you. I always tell myself that any race over 5 miles is along way and there is plenty of time to catch them up. The first 1.5 miles is off road and a rather stoney farm trails through sparse woodland. This didn't suit the racing trainers and I was happy when the race hit the tarmac roads. I could then get into a steady rhythm and concentrate on my tactic of 'clawing' runners back. A runner from Harrogate made an early break at the front and Ian Crampton(Durham) made a steady attempt to catch him. At that point I was in forth place and comfortably holding on. Later a runner from Ripon(Micheal Appleton) and Matt Hayes from East Hull Harriers joined up to make a group of 3. We were then joined by a young unattached runner(Jackie Simpson). We all then took turns to push the pace along. Matt Hayes from East Hull fell off the pace slightly and me and the other runners were all closely together until we hit the trail part to the finish. Once again this affected my rhythm and it seemed to give the other runners the advantage. I pushed close to the limit at this point and glancing over my shoulder was then aware of Will Kerr(St Bedes) making a late charge. One last push to the finish gave me 5th place overall - 59-54, quite pleased.

No comments: