Tuesday 23 November 2010

Leeds Abbey Dash 10k: Consistency in training pays off.

After suffering a cold in the run up to Sundays race, doubts about even running in it began to surface. This was a chance to 'peek at the potatoes' and test the training regime. I have completed a full 20 weeks of training, with a typical week consisting of: 1 x track session, 3 moderately paced 10-12 milers(average pace 7-20) , one long run of about 16 miles and 2 days gym work(conditioning etc.) and cycling.

This is one of the flattest local 10ks that I know. I didn't really want to miss the chance of locking horns with the rivals and finding out where I was in competition terms. This would be one of the last chances of a ranking result this year.

The centre of Leeds at 8-30am was cold and fresh. I decided to avoid the congestion and park off Water Lane and walk over the canal bridge to the start line(about 1 mile). Loads of runners and spectators were gathered at the start and I was looking round to see if I could recognise anyone; a few Rothwell and Pudsey Pacers were mulling about.

I got to the front and caught site of Johnny Mellor(last years winner), Ian Hudspith, John Convery, Gary Dunn, and Will kerr. I got the feeling that I would have to bolt like a race horse to avoid getting trampled in the rush.

The race started and the runners soon thinned out. I found my own space and the Garmin showed 4-52 per mile - good so far I thought. I felt really strong and tried to make ground on a group of runners in front. Another small group of runners tried to pass me, which included John Convery from Wakefield H. I stayed with him for a bit until he steadily broke away. I was comfortable up to the turn round point and caught sight of the front runners going the other way. There's a feeling that when you hit the turn around you can then 'fly' down to the finish. It doesn't quite happen like that and running down a slight incline felt like hard work for me. I reached the 5 mile point in 26-56, which would have been a recent PB for 5 miles. I knew then that there was a possibility of breaking 34 minutes. I was aware of the incline to the finish, so all reserves were needed in the final half mile. I got a view of the clock which showed 33-20ish, so I put in a last sprint over the line to clock 33-49. A hard fought sub 34.

No comments: