Tuesday 6 January 2009

New Year...Some changes and new focus

It's back to the drawing board again - in the hope that some improvements can be made.



Looking back on 2008, for me it as been a case of stagnation in the running department. Sometimes it's difficult for me to get my head round this running, I don't know many things that when you do more it can produce less! However, I think I have got the balance better this year ie with the family and kids, work and other things. I have just stuck to early Sunday morning racing(where possible), and then still been able to have some part of the day with the wife and kids. Running to work and back means it's been easier to fit in the running and still have time for other things.



This year I am once again not going to do a marathon. I don't think you can get away with 40-50 miles per week and expect to do a reasonable time in the marathon. I did London in 2001(2hr 41 mins) and 2002(2hr 49 mins), and suffered terribly in the latter stages of the race. When I think of the time I had put in to do that, I do not think I can balance it again, and I don't think I am a good life juggler!! I like running but I don't want to become a slave to it.



My plan this year is to build strength and endurance in the winter and early spring, and then introduce some faster work mid to late spring and early summer. This phase will consist of endurance work and strength work at the gym in winter, followed by some track work and track races in the spring and summer. I have got to admit I was running my best races(half marathons, 10miles and 10k's) whilst training for the marathon, so it is going to be difficult to try to achieve similar results this year.

7 comments:

Chris Jones said...

Nice blog! I'm trying to get back into running a bit more after 2 years of mostly cycling due to the knee surgeries I've had, and attempting to get some speed back (never had much) by getting down to the Thurs night track session at the club. It would be great to see you there if you can make it. Keith has been going down recently, and I think he'd enjoy some real competition!

Antony Bradford said...

Cheers Chris, Would love to get down to Spen again and do some track sessions.

I certainly need some speed work to sharpen me up, and Keith Magee(British Vet Silver Medalist) - sounds like good competition to me.

All the best for the 3 peaks race. Don't want to disappoint but 8 miles running in 3 years sounds hardly good prep for this race. Hope your just joking.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony, Yes the Ackworth's. The organiser Cyril Jones told me last year that 2008's race the last one organised by him.

Brass Monkey. I wasn't ready to race as a tagged runner. I've spoke to Matt Pierson who won over Darren Bilton. he dropped him at 1.5 miles. Condition's I heard were the best in a very long time. Still atleast my record is okay.

Had a comeback race in the Northern Xc today. No pressure, i could have kept going. Nice to get that desire to race well again.

Chris Jones said...

haha, it wasn't 8 miles total, it was 8 miles in a single race. Although my running has been limited, I did complete some long distance bike rides (12+ hours in the saddle) so my endurance is generally pretty good. Check out my cycling blog at http://gonecycling.blogspot.com for some of my adventures on 2 wheels. Hope to see you down at the track soon!

Antony Bradford said...

Yes Chris, rather pleased it wasn't 8 miles in total!

Will check out your cycling blog, and prepare yourself for some well meaning comments.

Skip Donahue said...

Track training? Tony Bradford?
Cant be the same guy that I remember that used to go down to Spen!!

Antony Bradford said...

Sorry Skip, - it is the same guy!
It's time to stop the long rests and short sessions. My long awaited track comeback is not far off.