Thursday 14 May 2009

Esholt 5k - Stay In Sight Of Blue And White

There's nothing in any book that explains why you do a good time after doing a hilly half marathon 4 days before. Mood definitely plays a part. I really was up for a go at the Bingley lads this week and the added rivalry from Kevin Ogden got the fire burning in my belly.

My plan was simply to stay in sight of blue and white - namely Tim Midgeley and John Convery from Bingley. They both seem like nice chaps and a bit of friendly rivalry only helps everybody improve. I felt good on the start line.

As expected Tim Midgeley and John Convery set off with the leaders and shortly after that a gap developed. I was also aware of Kevin Ogden making a break and opening up a gap. I think he had a similar plan - which was to go full out from the gun and try to stay as near to the front as possible. At the turn round point there was only about 15 seconds between the two Bingley lads and me and Kevin. Approaching the 3.5k point I felt strong and tried to push the pace, this was a mistake as there was a further 1.5k to go. I had a few seconds lead on Kevin by then and felt that I had the race all but 'wrapped up'. On this race there is a downhill section to the finish, which is where I was overtaken by Kevin. I tried to respond but was 'spent' by then and this race went to Kevin. I finished in 16-32, which was 31 seconds faster than the previous race and a new 5k P.B.

I have also learnt another valuable lesson; It's not always about what you have done(training and racing) but how you feel that counts.

No comments: